In 2025, the world of SEO has been dramatically transformed by artificial intelligence (AI) tools like ChatGPT, Sydney, and Bard. While these AI applications are undoubtedly impressive and game-changing, the fear of AI taking over SEO jobs and the industry as a whole might be an exaggeration.
To better understand AI’s impact on SEO, we need to examine the foundations of AI, machine learning (ML), and natural language processing (NLP).
AI, an umbrella term for machines simulating human intelligence, has subsets such as NLP and ML. NLP enables machines to understand, interpret, and generate human-like language, while ML trains algorithms to make predictions or decisions based on data.
Deep learning, a subset of ML, uses artificial neural networks (ANNs) to understand complex patterns and relationships in data.
Large language models (LLMs), like ChatGPT, are a type of deep learning algorithm that can recognize, summarize, translate, predict, and generate text and other content based on knowledge gained from massive datasets.
Several predictions about AI’s impact on SEO have been made, including AI engines further dominating market share for simple queries, a decrease in wages for certain SEO jobs, an increase in the bar for quality content, and a continued growth in video results on search engine results pages (SERPs).
However, two main reasons suggest that SEO as a profession and an industry is here to stay.
First, AI tools cannot obtain unique real-world experiences like humans do, which matters in SEO because Google is now specifically looking for content that demonstrates experience.
Second, SEO is multi-faceted, encompassing aspects such as link building, keyword research, and technical issues, which require human creativity and expertise.
- AI, particularly ChatGPT, may change the landscape of SEO significantly.
- AI tools like ChatGPT will further dominate market share for simple queries that don’t require expertise.
- Wages for certain SEO jobs, particularly content writers without niche expertise, may decrease.
- The bar for quality content will increase as AI tools commodify content.
- Video results will continue to take more clicks in search engine results pages due to the increase in video SERP features and various stats that support these changes across the web.
In conclusion, while AI tools like ChatGPT may significantly impact the SEO landscape, they will not be the ultimate end of the profession or industry. Instead, they can be used to improve SEO processes and enhance the value of content that human creators provide.