What percentage of your visitors leave your e-boutique without converting? The answer is without a doubt: too much!
“Exit Intent” technology could be the last stone in the edifice of your conversion optimization strategy.
This technology offers you one last chance to convince your visitors by creating a personalized interaction in real-time. Whatever your conversion objectives (increasing the overall volume of your sales, making your mailing list bigger, feeding your community on social networks …), a well thought out use of Exit Intent will make your job easier!
Exit Intent PopUp: What is at stake?
Today, to optimize its online store, web-markers and e-commerce managers spend a lot of energy on traffic generation strategies.
But making your internet users always arrive more numerous on your landing page is expensive in time and money. This is why it is necessary to wonder about the ways to optimize this hard-won traffic.
The Exit Intent, and more generally, all the techniques of real-time interaction with your visitors is a marketing idea that will help you meet the challenge.
In this article, I would like to explain to what extent Exit-Intent Popup can be useful to you in this area, regardless of the profile of your website, but also to give an overview of the results that can really be expected.
What is the Exit Intent Popup ?
First of all, what are we talking about ?
To better understand the principle, let’s approach the solution from a technical point of view.
Quite simply, the Exit Intent is to spread the right marketing message to your visitors about to leave your site without having performed the expected action.
The goal: to offer you one last opportunity to convince your internet users.
Such tools are based on the use of an online platform (SaaS) linked to your website by integrating two scripts:
- A mouse tracking code that is implemented on all pages of your website (possibility of using tools like Google Tag Manager).
- A code that analyzes the conversions generated by your Exit Intent campaigns, to be placed on specific URLs for broadcasting the message.
This approach, which is a bit tedious for the uninitiated (but very simple for any developer), rarely applies to sites that use e-commerce platforms since many companies specializing in this technology have developed their own plugins and extensions, making your job much easier.
For each new page or url visited, the mouse movements of your visitors are monitored and analyzed.
Mouse tracking algorithms take into account parameters such as speed of movement and direction.
The goal: to predict the precise moment when your visitor is about to leave your site.
Exit Intent’s best performing solutions are those that process this data as quickly as possible and that respond to all attempts to leave a navigation page (movement to the address bar, closing cross, return button. .).
The last step, as you have already understood, is to broadcast a personalized message in real time. This message usually takes the form of a window (popup) in overprint of your page.
The content of the message is crucial and will make your campaigns successful or not.
And in this area, Exit Intent tools offer many setting possibilities that will help you to maximize your campaigns and create real interactions with your potential clientele.
Personalized marketing in real time
In order to demonstrate the usefulness of Exit Intent customization, let us take a concrete case: an e-commerce site wishes to increase the overall volume of these sales.
A “basic” example of marketing interaction would be to create a standard message that is displayed to everyone after a few seconds of navigation. This message could offer a coupon on a purchase to be made today, in order to motivate the undecided.
And indeed, this message will only have a real impact on your undecided visitors, namely the small portion of your traffic already qualified and psychologically engaged in an intention to purchase.
The results will remain weak and you risk, in addition, unnecessarily opening your margin by offering a promotional offer to your already convinced audience, who would have bought anyway.
Finally, regarding the rest of your audience, this little message will certainly have annoyed them, another ad …
What we can say is that such a strategy will certainly have some positive effects on your conversions and perhaps even on your rebound rate, but we can do much better !
Some tools today allow you to trigger the display of personalized messages, adapted to each of your targets.
The greater the targeting possibilities, the more positive the impact on your conversion rates will be. The Maxtraffic platform, for example, has developed several behavioral or technical segmentation parameters which make it possible to qualify your leads and therefore to send them relevant messages:
- What is the source of traffic (paid research, organic research, social networks, etc.) ?
- What is the status of this visitor (first visit, 2nd or more, client) ?
- What is the amount of his basket ?
- How many pages has he traveled ?
- Did he stay on this page for a long time ?
- From which country does he consult my site ?
Set your targets and the right message
In order to create effective Exit Intent Popup campaigns, it is essential to define your targets and objectives for each of them.
You can then (depending on the tool you have chosen) create your messages on this basis and simultaneously launch your on-site campaigns for each of the profiles.
Some tools offer publishers online to create your messages, but it is quite possible to import your own creations.
What messages for which objectives ?
The following examples are possible uses of the Exit Intent but the technology has no limits and adapts to each user’s strategies.
Objective 1: Increase your mailing list / Generate new leads / Increase your presence on the networks
These are the most common uses of the Exit Intent for the simple reason that any website (blog, e-commerce, booking, etc.) wishes to widen the dissemination of its content and offers.
We know that e-mailing remains an effective tool for maintaining the customer relationship and obtaining an email address is often crucial in trying to convert / split.
To convince your visitor to leave these coordinates, offer him something worth it !
A coupon, relevant information, a premium benefit, a welcome gift … You can expect at least a 15% increase in the size of your email base (low average).
But there are many much more impressive examples.
These include the Marketing 112 case study, a Hungarian marketing service provider, which managed to increase the volume of its subscriptions by 62% with a simple pop-up exit.
If you want to make your community grow on social networks, the strategy remains the same. Before your visitors leave, encourage them to follow you to keep in touch.
Be careful all the same, so as not to annoy your visitors, think of configuring the capping and the frequency of your messages. You can target your new visitors as a priority and configure another message for your visitors who have already made purchases or have already consulted your site.
Objective 2: Reduce the abandonment of the basket by personalized notification
The notification of abandonment of basket is very useful provided that you have analyzed the possible causes of this abandonment upstream. Popup results will be all the more convincing as your client route is optimized. Here are some examples of notifications.
- Delivery costs offered: According to LK Conseils, the abandonment of the basket is due to 46% at too high delivery costs. It is possible to reduce this impact by broadcasting a targeted message to your visitors “with strong potentials”. We can imagine targeting only your visitors with a basket greater than the average purchase basket, or greater than a defined sum. This will preserve your margins while valuing your “good customers”. If you identify that a loyal customer (therefore satisfied) abandons his basket, then he may be in the tracking phase or waiting for a better offer. Valorize his loyalty by offering him a free delivery, this will help you tip the scales.
- A welcome coupon: To convert new prospects, a technique that has already proven itself is the welcome offer. You can consider launching a coupon campaign for any first order. The percentage method (as in the example above) works as a lever on the amount of the basket. The more a visitor makes purchases, the greater his economy. Be careful about the quality of your welcome offer, since some customers may be tempted to unsubscribe to re-register. For greater efficiency, only distribute this offer to your customers who have already traveled several pages or who have already spent more than 15 seconds on your site. In this way, you will only enter into dialogue with qualified visitors.
- Validate your basket today and receive X for free: Testing a new product is an interesting opportunity for your visitor. This helps to give a good image of the product and your brand. These sampling campaigns only apply to certain types of products but the idea can be declined: a discount, a product bought a free offer, etc ..
- A reassuring message: Indeed, sometimes a simple reminder can trigger the purchase (reminder of your return policy produced, secure payment, shipping follow-up, …). This can also be reassuring statistics, customer opinions, a distinction received which attests to your quality of service, etc
More generally, we can say that there are two levers that we can look at:
The notion of urgency by creating time-limited offers. This will create in your visitor the idea that if he does not act immediately, he risks losing money. This fear of losing an advantage will encourage decision-making and purchasing action
The feeling of exclusivity that will enhance attachment to the brand and increase loyalty.
It is therefore possible to act on the basket abandonment rate thanks to simple notifications:
- Using your visitor data allows you to customize your offers and make them more relevant.
- Your promotional offers are only visible when they are necessary to convert. Targeting allows you to offer premium offers only to your qualified targets and / or to visitors with a substantial purchase basket.
- You can integrate notions of urgency and exclusivity which will act respectively on action and on loyalty. It is important to reassure and create a transparent relationship.
Objective 3: Drain your traffic to another page or another site
The last use I want to tell you about is “to influence your traffic”.
Indeed, it is a safe bet that if your visitor spent several minutes on your website before finally leaving, it is because he was not convinced or that he did not find what he was looking for.
You are free to guide it to other content that you consider more relevant.
Redirect your visitor to the page of your best sale or to another of your sites. You can also display a button to your produced search page or offer a search bar inside your message.
What popup action tools are for ?
Personalization of the experience
As you understand it, these tools adapt to your targets, your strategy, your creativity.
It is essential to bet on the rapid transformation of your customer knowledge into tangible benefits, whether it is an increase in KING or sales.
The data itself does nothing for you, it is by using it strategically that you achieve results.
Settling large-scale marketing campaigns in a few clicks becomes possible, without any particular technical skills.
You take control and manage the content of your campaigns independently. You are able to adapt to the needs of the moment, and to automate the marketing processes.
At stake, the image of a moving brand that creates original and relevant interactions.
Latest tips for implementing popup action
A / B Test
With these types of tests you will discover what title, which CTA button, which color works best.
With little effort, you start your tests, only the best performer is kept and you further increase your conversions.
Adapt to the terminal
It is surprising to see that many sites are responsible and that many pop-ins are not.
You can just configure these options, a campaign for each type of device, following the same principles as for your site for a responsive popup.
Check the loading speed of your messages
If loading your messages is too slow, it will ruin your efforts.
To optimize loading, reduce the size of your images and create pop-ups that use HTML or CSS. You must of course have worked upstream at the speed of your site for better loads.
In the vast majority of cases, you will receive technical assistance in this area from your supplier.
Your visitors about to leave your site are probably already “submerged” by your contents.
They are potentially no longer in a good configuration to understand complex messages, or simply no longer want to make an effort.
A few catchy words, a subtitle and a visual are often more effective than an exhaustive but overloaded message.
Finally, I would say that it is often enough to test these technologies to see the benefits.
The tools are very numerous on the market and of variable quality and price. Some tools have specialized in supporting large groups such as Bounce Exchange and Yeldify, others adapt to the problems of smaller structures such as MaxTraffic.
The analysis of the results on your dashboard will allow you to identify reliable indicators in order to judge the effectiveness of your campaigns (number of displays, click rate, conversion rate after display, conversion rate after click, total income generated…).
It is certain that personalization in real time has a bright future ahead of it. The technique will continue to improve in order to accompany marketers ever further in the transformation of their data into tangible results for their business.
Leave a Reply